Article from the News and Star website 8th March 2017

Have a read if you didn’t catch it in the newspaper today. Things that Story Homes deem acceptable, really aren’t.

Public turn out to view plans for 224 new homes on Cumbrian town estate

Public consultation by Story Homes for phase two of the development at Strawberry How, Cockermouth.
Sara and Stan Field from Cockermouth look over the plans
Pic Tom Kay Monday 6th March 2017 

Controversial plans for 224 new homes on a Cockermouth housing estate went on show in the town.

Eight-six people viewed the plans for Strawberry Grange, which is being built by Story Homes at Strawberry How.

Concerns were raised about flooding, traffic and the effect of such a big development on town services. Many people said there was no need for so many new homes.

The company already has full planning permission for 96 homes, which are being built on the estate, and outline permission for another 224.

It is preparing to submit detailed plans for those with outline permission.

A public exhibition was held at Saints Rooms, Kirkgate, as part of a two-week consultation process.

Sara Field, of Grayson Close, Cockermouth, attended with her father, Stan Field.

“I’m horrified, we do not need any more houses in town. These used to be beautiful green fields, so much hedgerow has been ripped out,” said Miss Field.

“I think everyone feels so jaded. We can all leave our comments but it will still go ahead, as it did last time.”

Mr Field, a retired architect, added: “They will create a flood risk for those downstream.”

Gillian Telford, of Cockermouth, said: “I’m very concerned about this development: the size, position and – this is my biggest concern – the impact it will have on our water courses.

“This will add to problems which already exist.”

Brian Mitchelhill, of Cockermouth, was also against the plans.

“I have never agreed with this development and think it will cause interminable traffic problems,” he said.

“I would ask all the parties involved to reconsider having a link road to the A66.”

Story Homes’ development planner Adam McNally was at the event.

“We have proven that the access off Strawberry How Road is acceptable.

“We did a thorough transport assessment and looked into its impact on the town infrastructure. The outcome was that there is enough capacity in the network,” he said.

“We will not be increasing the flood risk within the town. We have put a number of measures in place, such as the SUD ponds.

“This means the outfall from the site is certainly no worse than the existing situation.”

He said he felt there was demand for new homes. So far 658 people have signed up to the Strawberry Grange mailing list, and more than 100 people went to the showroom opening on Saturday.

People can view information about the plans and download comment forms on the Story Homes website.

News and Star 8 March 2017 11:05AM

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s